Barbie is worried Billy might say something to get himself in trouble.

Click here to see the full-size comic strip!
support: patreon.thepete.com buy: Inkstreme Ballpoint Adventures

caffeinate: coffee.thepete.xyz
This classic strip is all about protesting how we pretend something is much better than it really is. Like our...

..."right" to "free" speech.  The reality is that it's not really all that free.  We can't make threats. we can't yell fire in a crowded theater, we can't incite or encourage crimes and God Forbid we should say something someone else doesn't agree with!

But seriously, why do we pretend that any of our rights are to the extreme we like to pretend they are?  Sure, we have a right to say what we want, but surely, we all agree that yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater is a bad thing to do, right?  So, why do we call it "free speech" when we know it isn't?  Likewise, why do some of us pretend our right to bear arms extends to any kind of guns we can invent when we already accept limitations on our free speech?

Likewise, isn't the whole "money = speech" argument equally extreme and inappropriate?  It essentially says that rich people are more important than poor people.  This is also how we lose our democratic way of life.  After all, if I want to run for president, I don't have a shot at drawing attention away from someone like Donald Trump because he has plenty of cash to say what he wants much more often and in more places than I can afford to go.


Oh, and while you're pondering that, if you like what I do with this comic or anything else online, help me pay my rent this month! If you could support me on Patreon or if you can buy my long-form comic, INKSTREME BALLPOINT ADVENTURES, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! You can also just buy me a coffee!  Every bit helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment