From 1999: Billy takes an Ax to Racism (in the face!)

Click here to see the full size comic strip!
This strip feels positively quaint compared to the racism we're dealing with today. The sad--no--the really sad thing is...
...the racism back in 1999 was probably just as bad as it is today, but the Internet wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today and it wasn't used by enough people to get the word out.  An even bigger factor was probably the lack of video cameras built in to mobile phones (remember life before the smart phone? A dark time, indeed!).  Anyway, I had a pretty good idea that there was still racism going on, but as a white guy, I didn't come across it firsthand hardly at all.  So, when I saw it, I did my best to point it out.  Nowadays, I can't keep up.  People, come on, we've got to do something about this.

Just because you are afraid of a certain group of people doesn't mean you should treat them poorly.  Stop being afraid of difference and understand that it takes difference to make us all stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment